Wednesday

Wednesday 24th September 1808

Dear Diary,
How sometimes I wish I were not me.
I receive disapproving stares from everyone where'er I go. Even Ned said "How could you Mr Austen?"
"It just slipped out," I moaned.
"Yes, and into my Titty," he scowled.
"What are you talking about?" I said. "You don't think I am actually the father of the child!"
"Well, you said you were." He looked confused.
"I made it up, on the spur of the moment, you buffoon! To prevent them from taking your baby away!"
Mrs Norris and Mother were in conference most of the day. I suspect they are trying to avoid the scandal getting out.
"Well, if that Fanny Tickler opens her mouth as easily as her legs," said Ned, "you're buggered!"
I took some air in the garden and was discovered by Reverend Peacock.
"I have just come from speaking with Mrs Norris and your Mother, Mr Austen." He smiled, kindly and then dropped his eyes from my face, shyly.
"I would like to marry you Mr Austen."
I was stunned. I could not believe my ears. My heart was beating wildly. I reached out and grasped his arm and tried to regulate my breathing.
"I am truly flattered, Mr Peacock. Oh, if only you could." I breathed.
"Well, I can," he said. "All we need is you and Titty. She is the mother isn't she? And I am allowed to conduct a wedding you know."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Now I see.
You are a chess master indeed!
(always three moves ahead)

-Pawn takes Titty pawn;
-produces a little Annie pawn;
-Knight and Pawn hatch plan;
-Knight takes oboe instruction;
-plan goes pear shaped;
-Bishop tries to take little Annie pawn;
-Knight improvises plan while tap dancing;
-Knight claims little Annie pawn;
-scandal threatens white Queen;
-black Queen confers with white Queen;
-Queens propose plan such that;
-Pawn and Titty pawn claim Annie pawn;
-result a draw but Knight lives to play the oboe again;
-smiles all around especially Woofter.


Yours in antipositional play,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose',

How funny you people are in the colonies!

Yours nervously,

Wayne Austen