Sunday

Sunday 21st September 1808

Dear Diary,
This morning the whole household ventured into the village of Far Corfe to attend the morning service at the Chapel of St Peter on the Hoar. I managed to both distance myself from Mrs Norris and her horrendous caterwauling and find a pew just in front of Willow. When the Reverend Peacock emerged in his crisp white vestments and mounted the pulpit, I almost forgot to breathe. If ever there was an angel upon the earth then surely it is he. His blonde hair shone in the ray of sunlight streaming in through the painted glass window behind him and his eyes were the colour of cornflowers. He raised his hand and an organ swelled and I felt it's vibration travel through me.
"Let us sing Glory be to God on high," he announced.
Oh, how I did.
Willow, as I expected has a beautiful voice and it's mellow sound filled my ears during the hymns. I cannot remember enjoying a service more than that of today, with Willow behind and the Reverend Peacock before. Annie became restless during the sermon, who's theme appeared to be 'Don't let worry kill you - Allow the Church to help' and after a loud 'tut' from Mrs Norris and a vexed glance, Titty slipped out with her.
When the service was over we all hung back to allow the regular parishioners to leave and then Mrs Norris introduced my Mother, Fanny and I to the Reverend Peacock. He smiled warmly and hoped we felt welcome in his parish. I wanted to enquire about his organ but decided it was far too soon to be so bold and yet fortuitously after we had bid him a 'good day' and turned to leave, he unexpectedly called me back.
"Oh, Mr Austen, Mr Woofter has informed me of your fondness for organs. Please feel free to avail yourself of mine when'er the fancy takes you."
Can you imagine how I felt upon hearing those words?
"That is most kind of you, Reverend Peacock," I replied, "I should like to very much."
"There are no need for formalities after the service, Wayne. Please, call me Drew," he said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne, rew, and Willow. My heart rejoices.

-h

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Opportunity knocks! Get on that organ and give it your best. Drew Peacock will be delighted with your skilled fingering.

Yours in musical manipulation,

B.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love a swelling organ! :-D