Friday

Friday 12th September 1808

Dear Diary,
I know not how long I had been asleep when I was awakened by Danielle shaking me vigorously.
"Come quickly. Now is our chance!" she urged.
She pulled me by the hand from my bed and lead me along the darkened landing and down the stairs. I was half asleep and my senses still were dulled and yet at the foot of the stairs I noticed a bright flickering light spilling out from the parlour. I pulled from her grip and staggered to the half open door sensing something was amiss and was shocked awake by the sight I beheld.
The parlour was ablaze with the flames almost reaching the ceiling. I staggered back and shut the door.
Danielle grabbed at my nightshirt;
"Come at once! We must escape!" she cried.
"But my family," I cried, "we have to waken them."
Her eyes darkened and she held my arms and shook me.
"No!" She ordered. "We leave now, we have no time."
I pulled free of her grip once again and ran up the stairs leaving her standing in her nightshirt in the hallway. She cried after me;
"Come back, you fool!"
I ran along the landing shouting and banging upon every door I passed, rousing everyone in the house and urging them to get out as quickly as they could. Ned emerged, shirtless in his breeches and helped me shepherd them down the stairs. Father could not resist opening the parlour door and flames shot out and he fell backwards with an anguished cry. Ned rushed forward and forced the door shut again and helped Father to his feet and out of the front door.
Rain was streaming from the heavens as we all stood before the house and I looked around to account for everyone.
Annie was wailing in Titty's arms and Willy clung to Jane. Father was hugging my Mother and I remembered thinking how odd it was to see them thus. Mrs Norris was clutching Winky and Fanny clung to her dripping pussy as Mrs Crutchlow and Ned stood nearby.
Then I remembered you, dear diary and I rushed back inside. The parlour door was holding back the fire and there was little danger in my foolishness. I could not abandon you now.
I emerged once again to the relief of everyone and then noticed, standing further back, the sodden form of Danielle St Amour. Her hair hung limp and wet. Her nightdress clung to her body and her arms were wrapped round herself in a selfish hug. The others followed my gaze and turned to face her and she regarded us all with dark eyes.
Mrs Norris stepped forward and held out an arm to gather her in but at that moment Father's Todger emerged from the darkness and leapt up at her. There was a tearing sound as her flimsy nightshirt was rent from her body by the weight of the hound as it dropped back to the ground and 'she' stood before us all, naked.
Mrs Norris gasped and staggered backwards. Fanny screamed and Willy giggled as we all stared at the figure standing before us, then 'he' turned and disappeared into the darkness.
Everyone was stunned. Only Ned was not rendered speechless by the nights events. He came up behind me and leaning in close, whispered;
"You remember when you were telling me about Annie's birth and seein' the strangest sight of a tiny, shiny, purple head in a place where you don't expect to find one? We'll, blow me! If that weren't another!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Well said Ned!

Yours aghast,

B.

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Glad to know you saved your diary but meanwhile back at the grange....

F I R E !!!

Yours excitedly,

B.

Anonymous said...

A poor soul sat sighing by a sycamore tree,
Sing all the green Willow,
His hand on his bosom, his head on his knee,
Sing Willow, Willow, Willow.

-h (channeling w)

Anonymous said...

Dear Master Austen,
I have been deprived of the very power of speech..... What abominable deception!
I can only hope that being supposedly of good society, this 'woman' will slink back to the shadows whence she came.

Yours in fey indignation,
Master M. Gemme

Wayne Austen said...

My dear distant 'H',

How lyrical you wax!

Yours equally waxy at times,

Wayne Austen