Tuesday

Tuesday 2nd September 1808

Dear Diary,
Ned and I left the Grange, this morning, within half an hour of each other, in different directions but rendezvoused beyond Netherton for the remainder of the ride to Titty's aunts. I must say I am shocked at how some people can live in such compact and cramped conditions. I dare not say whether it was the room that was small or Titty appearing oversized for it but, oh my, what an infant can do to a person!
Her aunt was absent, no doubt making room for the influx of folk into her less than modest abode. We chatted happily, though I felt somewhat of an intruder upon their time together, and yet it was important that we discuss eventualities. It is not an ideal plan but the best that can be made of the circumstances for the moment.
I left them together for awhile and stood outside with Python and practised plaiting his tail as best I could but he kept flicking it from my grasp. I had been outside some ten minutes when Ned suddenly called to me;
"Mr Austen, come quick! I think the baby is coming."
The smile had gone from Titty's face to be replaced by a painful grimace and she was moaning quite alarmingly.
"Shall I fetch someone who knows about these events?" I asked anxious to be elsewhere.
"Might be a good idea," said Ned, "see if there is a doctor in the next village."
I turned and headed out and was mounting Python when he called me back again.
"I don't think this baby is going to wait for the doctor. Find some cloths and a sharp knife."
There was not an overwhelming amount of space to search, thankfully and I quickly returned with his requirements. Titty was panting and wailing in quick succession and perspiring dreadfully.
"I've helped with lambing, it's going to be fine, " said Ned sounding more confident than his pale demeanour registered...and then he fainted. He just collapsed to the floor.
Titty moaned and I moaned.
Titty wailed and I felt one rising in me and then she spoke through gritted teeth;
"Don't just stand there you daft.....Sir!..... Grab it's head!"
I knelt down and beheld what is most certainly the strangest sight I have ever seen, with a tiny, shiny purple head
in a place one does not expect to find one.
It was certainly not the day I had envisaged but safe to say Mother and daughter are quite well, and in the safe hands of Titty's aunt. As for the Father, he is much recovered and very happy.
I had to recount the tale many times to him on the journey home....
"And finally, I cut the 'unbelievable' cord." I said proudly.
"Umbilical!" He said, in exasperation.

13 comments:

Dhemz said...

hi hop here today...I wish you could add a shoutbox on your page...:)

Anonymous said...

Wayne, I'm so proud of you! You accomplished so much in just one short week.

-h

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

A little too much description of the birth for my liking but you could have said if it was a boy or girl. Pray tell more about the plan and you are hanging around with Ned far too much now his malapropisms are starting to rub off on you.

I dare say though the sight of you plaiting your Python's hair would be enjoyable.

Yours in felicitation,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Demcy Apdian-Dias,

I know not what a shoutbox is...I am only familiar with Miss Noring's box...but I thank you for hopping here.

Yours hoppily,

Wayne Austen

Wayne Austen said...

My dear distant 'H...?'

I am quite exhausted.

Yours in fatigue,

Wayne Austen

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose',

"safe to say Mother and daughter are fine.." Look closely and I trust you will find a rather big clue in that.

Yours quite obviously,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

Dear Master Austen,
Please pass on my congratulations to Ned and Mistress Titty. I wonder what name they should choose for such an auspicious arrival?
Yours in natality,
Midge

Anonymous said...

My dear Mr. Austen,

I am glad that the child was delivered safely, although one must never congratulate the arrival of the fruit of fornication.

If Ned had married the mother in the early months of her pregnancy, Titty could have had one of those "seven month babies" that are so common in fashionable society and much scandal could have been avoided.

At this time one's thoughts turn to names. May I suggest Letitia after her mother, or Edwina after her father? Perhaps Waynetta after her "midwife"?

Yours helpfully, Sir Studly Buckwell bart.

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Ah yes, I see your clue, I can only say the excitement of your news overwhelmed me.

Yours relieved,

B.

Starched Collar said...

Congratulations! A new life! Shall I call you 'uncle,' dear man? You certainly deserve it! Hopefully, if a boy, they will reward the child with one of your given names..!

Yours Gushingly,

Beau Tibbs

Starched Collar said...

Oh! Excuse! I TOTALLY skipped over the fact the baby was a girl... I wonder why??

Ahem,

Beau

Anonymous said...

My Dear Mr Austen,

I but last night came upon your body of work, and found the activity most delighftul. Having just begun to nibble at it, I threw myself into the endeavour as the evening progressed and have but this instant finished off. I am quite spent with the effort.

I do hope that you look more into your intended's background. Was she present at the time of her late family's demise? One must not go into these things without forethought. I hope that you will not take my suggestions amiss, but if you do, I apologise aforetime for any offence.

I do wonder why you have not taken it upon yourself to improve Ned's diction with strenuous oral exercise. I am sure he would find the attention stimulating.

Your Obd't Sv't,
N. Dowd
Everhard House
Netherwood

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr Dowd,

I am gratified that you have found delight in the fruits of my idle quilling.
I have oft been shocked at the state of Ned's diction and try to correct when'er I can. As for Miss St Amour, I trust Mrs Norris's vigorous enquiries and have no doubt if there are skeletons in her closet, she shall have them out.
It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance and thank you for taking the time to comment upon my jottings.

Yours appreciatively,

Wayne Austen