Wednesday

Wednesday 10th September 1808

Dear Diary,
I arose, threw back the drapes and beheld a magnificent rainbow. I wonder if it was a sign that there shall be no more rain. I shall not hold my breath.
There was some delay to breakfast. Ned popped into apologise and said that Mrs Crutchlow was having to attend to Annie at that moment but would be just a few moments. I rose and followed him into the scullery to see if there was anything I could do. Mrs Crutchlow was pacing about the kitchen and Annie was wailing inconsolably. In a sudden lull in the noise, when Annie was pausing to gasp in air, there was a gentle knock upon the back door and in stepped Titty.
"Oh, thank heavens!" cried Mrs Crutchlow rushing over to her and thrusting the baby into her arms. "Here, hold this. I have eggs to poach."
Annie at once ceased her crying and Ned nodded at Titty and smiled.
"Welcome back Titty, we have missed you," I said, "but I fear you find us in some disorder. Your arrival is most fortuitous. I shall leave Ned to enlighten you and I shall to the parlour to await my eggs."
The rest of the day was spent preparing for the arrival of Mrs Norris and Danielle St Amour. Father was still subdued but, I think, only I noticed. Mother and Fanny fussed about the house in titivation while Mrs Crutchlow set about preparing for the lavish dinner. Titty helped whenever Annie allowed.
"I believe you shall make a competent parent," said my Mother to her. "One would almost think she were your own the way she has taken to you, Titty." There was a clattering from the parlour as Ned dropped the load of logs he was carrying for the fire...."Oh Shhh...." he began as one landed upon his foot but commendably he recovered and sang..."shhhh.....eeee sells sea shells upon the seashore." I recognised the words but sadly not the tune.
Mrs Norris's barouche drew up just as it grew dark. We all went out to greet our guests. I approached the carriage and put my hand out and grasped the handle and then felt another hand upon mine. I turned and saw it was Willow standing next to me. He smiled and withdrew his hand but the warmth from his touch lingered a moment.
I opened the door and Winky was thrust out. Willow held the beast and I eased Mrs Norris out. After extricating myself from her bosom I was able to turn my attention to Danielle who now emerged in the doorway. She looked radiant and more breathtaking than I remembered. I helped her down and kissed her cheek and taking her arm lead her towards my waiting family.
There was much laughter and chatter as our guests were greeted but above it I heard the barouche moving off. I turned to watch it leave and saw Willow sat high upon it, next to the coachman.
He held my gaze until he was swallowed by the gathering dusk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

But you didn't shout "WAIT" .

Sadly,

B.