Thursday

Thursday 25th September 1808

Dear Diary,
Enough is enough!
The truth must out! I found Ned running his hands over Python's fetlocks in the stable.
"The time has come for probity Ned!" He looked startled and backed up against the wall. "You must show your rectitude." He whimpered, strangely.
"Are you ready to be upstanding?" I enquired.
"I.....er.....well, er.....I dunno. I've got a bit of a headache at the moment," he said.
"You must go and own up to your indiscretion with Titty. Admit that you are the Father. It is what we should have done from the start. As it is the scandal that is building now is far greater than it would have been if we had been honest from the start. It is my reputation that is at stake here, and all for what?"
He sighed and shrugged his shoulders.
"Mr Austen, I am a simple man," he said. (I could not argue with that.) "Forgive me, if I speak honestly but I love my daughter and I only want the best for her and is it not true that she has a better chance in this life as your daughter than my own?"
He had a point.
"But my reputation?" I repeated.
"Can I be honest again, Sir?" He looked more serious than I had ever seen him before. I nodded. "You are, well, you're a bit wet, begging your pardon, and I think if we play this out, it will give you a bit of a reputation, yes but, if I may be so bold as to suggest, you might be perceived to be......more of a man."
"But I can't marry Titty." I spluttered.
"Ah, well....no.....I have another plan," he 'wanked'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Your reputation could use a boost. It might be fun, Ned has a plan that obviously involves himself and you and he is 'wanking' and you have him up against the wall already.....I say go for it.

Yours in strategy,

B.

Anonymous said...

Wayne, I wrote a couple of days ago that you were a brave and resourceful man, but the message was lost. I can only repeat it, for it is true.

-h

Wayne Austen said...

My dear distant 'h',

I thank you for your unerring support.

Yours gratefully,

Wayne Austen