Tuesday

Tuesday 23rd September 1808

Dear Diary,
I barely slept. I had been unable to catch Ned alone to tell him of Annie's impending departure until this morning but came down and found him dusting Mrs Norris's bust in the hallway.
I approached him and whispered;
"Ned, I have urgent news!"
At that moment Mrs Norris emerged from the Sitting Room.
"Be careful with that Ted, it is a work of art." She disappeared into the parlour.
"Fart? Who's Fart?" Asked Ned.
Before I could pummel his uneducated head, Mrs Norris re-emerged from the parlour.
"Come here Jed. My nick-nacks have need of your duster," and he dutifully followed.
I had wanted to discuss the matter with Ned before Titty was informed but when I came across her rocking Annie in her arms in the garden, I blurted it out...and then wished I hadn't.
She let out such a cry that a peacock close by echoed her. She was very distraught and begged for my help. I said that I would and assured her all would be well but I had no idea how I was to proceed.
I was on my way up the stairs to find Willow and ask for his help when the knock came upon the door. Fanny Tickler, the housekeeper opened the door and there stood the Reverend Peacock and a dour looking woman in a tatty bonnet. Miss Tickler showed them in and at that moment Mrs Norris emerged from the sitting room clutching her Winky. Mother appeared next to me on the landing followed by Willow carrying a tray of breakfast things. As he began to descend the stairs, Ned emerged from the parlour and Titty entered from outside, behind the Reverend.
Everyone's attention turned upon her and she let out a pityful wail of "Oh no!" and clutched Annie tightly. Ned looked up at me bemused and Willow came to a halt halfway down the stairs.
"Don't be silly dear, hand the child over," said Mrs Norris, "Tis for the best."
Titty stepped back and tightened her grip upon her daughter and then she looked up at me with such fear in her eyes. The dour woman stepped forward and held out her arms.
"Wait!" I called. "The child has.... head lice."
The dour woman paused and looked at me. She smiled and her grin was more gap than teeth. "No matter Sir," she laughed, "They will be company for the others at the Poor House." She stepped forward again.
"Wait!" I called again, "The child has...ricketts!"
Everyone's attention turned back to me. Ned's bemusement was obviously infectious.
The dour woman paused again briefly but then, with an irritated sigh, reached out and took hold of the baby. Titty screamed. The baby wailed. Winky yapped. Mother gasped and Mrs Norris ordered Titty to release the child. The noise rose to a cacophony.
"Enough!" I cried above the din. "The child is mine!"
There was sudden silence and then the breakfast things clattered down the stairs as Willow dropped the tray. Mrs Norris dropped Winky with a gasp and staggered backwards to grasp the plinth upon which her bust rested. It wobbled momentarily and then fell to the floor with a crash and shattered.
Again a stunned silence fell upon the gathering and then...
"Oh dear!" Said Ned, "Fart's not going to be pleased."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!

I have a psychic friend who claims that within the next two hundred years, homes will be equipped with "magic lanterns" upon which serial comedies and dramas are displayed. I'm quite certain that you could write such plays if you are still alive two hundred years from now. Alternatively, you could write for the theatre of our own time.

Most sincerely, Sir Studly Buckwell bart.

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

I see the 'plan' is going well.

Amused,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr Buckwell,

How marvellous the future sounds. Does your friend perchance know if there will be chicken coated in a delicious breadcrumb coating, with french fries and a drink derived from an extract of the coca plant?

Yours hungrily,

Wayne Austen

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr Moose,

You do find amusement in the discomfort of others, don't you?

Yours uncomfortably,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

hycomkDear Wayne,

I am truly sorry for the plight that seems to be facing the infant Annie and her parents. I thought all would go well according to the 'plan' that you and Ned had concocted but I am sure that it was only the unforeseen circumstances of the fire and your intended turning out to be he not she and the unplanned sojourn to Far Corfe and your newly developed interest in exercising your lip upon Willow Woofter's wonderful pink oboe and the complications brought about by the Reverend Drew Peacock and the dour looking woman from the poor house that has caused this slight hiccouph in your 'plan'. Please excuse my thoughtless amusement at your on the spot improvisations to the 'plan' and may I respectfully change my signature from Amused to...

Most concerned,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose',

hycomk?
'Shum mishtake shurely?'

Yours totally teetotally,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

I have no knowledge of where ' hycomk' came from other than I may have felt the need to clear my throat before my apology to you but thank you for drawing it to the attention of all and sundry who may have happened to miss my simple type-o. Do I really deserve a public shaming and humiliation? Perhaps a night in the stocks would suffice.

Yours humbled,

B.