Monday

Monday 22nd September 1808

Dear Diary,
Willow was teaching me how to blow his pink oboe when we espied the Reverend Drew Peacock approaching the hall.
"I wonder what brings him here?" Willow spoke mine own thoughts.
"Shall I go down?" I wondered aloud.
"If you must," said Willow, "but you were just making progress before our distraction and your lip technique is much improved. I say we press on here. What say you?"
"Indeed, you are right," I smiled. "Whatever it is I am sure we shall hear of it later."
I continued my tutoring for quite some time and all thoughts of the Reverend had slipped my mind when there was a rapping upon the study door.
Removing my lips from Willow's instrument, I called, "Enter."
In stepped the Reverend Peacock. He bowed slightly and smiled "Mr Woofter, Mr Austen, Forgive my interuption. I am just come to bid you good day before I return home." I nodded in return yet Willow looked somewhat vexed. There was a heavy pause and then the Reverend spoke again;
"I must say that is a fine looking instrument you have there, Mr Austen. Is it your own?"
"No, it's Mr Woofter's," I replied.
"Well, it is fine. Very fine indeed." Another awkward silence ensued, then;
"Most fine....." said the Reverend. "Well, I shall be off. I just came to discuss the baby with Mrs Norris but now I leave."
"The baby?" I queried then replaced the oboe to my lips.
"Indeed, baby Annie. I am happy to report that I have made enquiries and the poor house in Pimpton will take her tomorrow."
The sudden blast that came from the oboe even startled me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love a sudden blast! :-D

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

I do declare, I must, I must, I simply must have instruction upon the pink oboe myself. You make it sound so enjoyable.

By what you say about Rev. Drew Peacock's revelations I assume it will be Wayne to the rescue of Annie Reckson.

Yours in 'triple time',

B.