Saturday

Saturday 13th September 1808

Dear Diary,
After finding shelter with the Parson for the rest of the night we returned home this morning to appraise the extent of the destruction.
Our home is gravely damaged yet Father believes it can be repaired. Happily the fire did not breach the parlour door but two upper rooms have also been damaged; Fanny's directly above the parlour and the room 'Miss' St Amour was habiting. It appears a fire was started there also, but as chance would have it, it did not take a hold as the one downstairs. It would seem that until the repairs are made good, we are homeless for Father fears it is not safe for all of us to remain at the Grange in it's present unstable state.
"You are all welcome to Far Corfe," effused Mrs Norris and thus it is to be.
Father is to remain at the Grange to supervise repairs whilst Jane and Willy are to remain at Cobbler's End with the Misses Noring and Lott as she has a duty to the school in Cobbler's Bottom. Mrs Crutchlow is to stay with her sister as Mrs Norris has her own housekeeper. She did not seem too upset with the news. Mrs Norris also felt that Ned and Titty were surplus to requirements but it was Mother who said that Titty should come too to attend to baby Annie for the present and I stated that I only trusted Ned to attend my Python and that surely Willow would need some assistance with the sudden increase in guests at Far Corfe Hall.
Mrs Norris stepped up and took my hand;
"Indeed, my dear, and so it shall be. We have all been through a terrible ordeal, but none can be so shocked as you. I always knew there was something unusual about that young la....., that person. To think you were enagaged to a........ well, another man." She shook her head. "'Tis better to find out now than upon your wedding night."
I smiled graciously but was, indeed, thinking what a marvellous surprise that would have been.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grieve for your loss, Wayne, but hope that you will have a grand time engaging in trios with Willow and Ned as you all go to Far Corfe.

I remember the time the volcano rendered us homeless...

-h

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

You naughty boy you are a scamp!

Do watch out for that Willow fellow at Far Corfe I feel he may have designs on you.

Yours encouragingly,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear distant 'H',

Volcano?!
I sympathise naturally and yet I cannot help but wonder how you did not notice it close by. You should have gone to Specsavers!

Yours opthalmically,

Wayne Austen