Thursday

Thursday 4th September 1808

Dear Diary,
"Did you enjoy my sausage, Mr Austen?" asked Ned, this morning.
"I confess Ned, I found it quite succulent and was impressed by it's presentation," I replied, generously. He grinned proudly and removed my plate. I followed him into the Scullery and there beheld such disorder that I almost squealed in shock.
"I trust you will get this tidied before Mrs Crutchlow returns from visiting her family this afternoon or I fear she will pickle you!" I gasped.
How quickly his proud grin dissipated into a look of unrestrained anxiety.
"It has been a pleasure to know you, Ned," I said resignedly and left him to his doom.
By happy chance I was in the garden with Willy, when he returned from his schooling and we were able to witness her chasing him out, with a broom. It quite made the day.
"Come, Willy," I laughed, "I shall show you my Knob before dinner."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

What kind of pickle would Mrs Crutchlow make with Ned?......well not a gherkin of that I am sure! Oh the thoughts you inspire.....large dill perhaps but I don't think kosher.

Savorily yours,

B.

Anonymous said...

My Dear Mr Austen,

It is with pleasure that I take my quill in hand once again to compliment you on your endeavours. I do hope that Ned's sausage was to your liking. I am glad to read that young Ned would present you with a fresh sausage, and not something which has been found hidden away in dark, moist spaces.

Yours,

N. Dowd
Everhard House
Netherwood