Tuesday

Tuesday 9th September 1808

Dear Diary,
Turmoil..........and all because of a baby!
Fanny immediately fell for the child and showering her with kisses vowed to care for her forever, but after facing a sleepless night and the reality and unpredictability of the infant's bowels has returned to caressing her pussy for comfort. Mother coos over the child but dare not touch her for fear of ruining her frock and Jane looks upon her much as she is wont to look upon me at times, with utter revulsion. Poor Mrs Crutchlow has born the brunt of the task of caring for 'Orphan Annie' as she has been generally christened.
Ned was sent to the village to enquire if anyone knew anything that might help us find her parents but no one knew anything it seems....( and that is some relief!)
Father just frowned and when his afternoon nap was interupted by her hungry wails, stood and informed us he was taking her to the Poor House in Netherton. He told Ned to prepare his horse and went to find his riding boots. I caught up with him at the top of the stairs and handed him the letter I had received on Friday. He went quite pale upon reading it and looked upon me with such fear in his eyes that my heart went out to him. I grasped his arm and told him not to fear, that all had been dealt with discretely and nothing more would be mentioned of it. He has spent the rest of the day in the study and all thoughts of Poor Houses forgotten. I think it has given us the time we need...
Tomorrow is another day and of course brings Danielle and Mrs Norris to our door as well.
Ned knocked upon my chamber a short while ago.
"All will be well tomorrow," he tried to sound confident. I smiled and nodded as confidently as I could without feeling it. He turned to leave.
"Annie," I said, " a nice name."
"Aye," he said, "I chose it and hopefully one day she will have my surname too...Annie Reckson. I 'ope she will be proud."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

'Annie Reckson' what else could it have been?

For her sake Wayne get her to the Poor House and give the kid a chance.

Hopelessly yours,

B.

Anonymous said...

nice and sad story here !

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose',

I fear it may still come to that!

Yours apprehensively,

Wayne Austen

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mahendra,

Sad?..........

Yours in grief,

Wayne Austen