Wednesday

Wednesday 28th May 1808

Dear Diary,
I left the sanctuary of my chamber at the Grange and bravely ventured to Netherton for lunch with the misses Forster and Dixon. I had never entered Miss Dixon's cosy abode previously but her Father was out, worrying sheep, and she was at liberty to entertain. Mrs Marrs was there, with the identical twins, Matthew and Abigail,( Oh my! how they have grown!) and Mr and Mrs Taylor arrived, a little later, looking somewhat flushed and dishevelled from obviously recent exertions. It was jolly company and merry intercourse amongst good friends is always a boon. Miss Dixon had been busy in the kitchen and brought out a 'special' pie for the adults and a 'shepherd's pie' for the twins.
"Made with real shepherds," I joked, then noticed Miss Forster and Miss Dixon exchange an uncomfortable glance. Mr Taylor spoke up,
"Oh Indeed Mr Austen, do not joke, for a shepherd, hereabouts, went missing this very week."
Miss Dixon clapped her hands and laughed,
"Oh come, come, enough of this morbid talk, my 'special pie' will be going cold!"
It was certainly a hearty repast and we sat, replete, about the table afterwards and talked of this and that.
When I felt it time to depart I rose and thanked Miss Dixon for her hospitality.
"That was one of the best chicken pies I have had in a long time." I winked.
"Oh no, Mr Austen," she smiled, "It was not chicken pie. It was crow pie."
Suddenly, Mr Taylor leapt up and dashed out of the door before me. I remained much more composed as is my breeding, and waited till I was well out of sight. A gentleman should never regurgitate in public.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear Wayne,

Such an assault to serve crow to ones guests! Miss Dixion is fortunate indeed for your gentlemanly manners she deserved to be wearing her 'special pie'.
Perhaps your joke about the shepherds was not so funny after all and the twin girls ate a 'special pie' also.

Queasily yours,

B.