Thursday

Thursday 29th May 1808

Dear Diary,
How people will laugh, when I am gone, when they read these diaries. They will titter and chortle at the sad, dull and uneventful life I led in the last months before my untimely death. They will definately be astounded by the lack of balls. I ask you, what have I achieved? Yes, I helped Father find his Todger and returned the stolen silver to the Chapel but apart from that it has just been endless organ fingering, jaunts atop the Knob, rides upon Python and a great deal of misfortune at the hands of Mother Nature.
Why so moribund?
Well, I have not been sleeping well these past nights, tossing and turning for much of them, probably with more emphasis on the turning rather than the tossing, but that is of no consequence. Late last night I became aware of an irregular clattering at my window and surmised someone outside was throwing stones at my pane to attract my attention. I raised myself and cupping my hands around my eyes, peered out into the darkness. At first I could see nothing then slowly the moon emerged from behind a cloud and the shadow lifted and I beheld a hooded figure clad in a long dark cloak. I stopped breathing when I saw that in it's left hand it held a long handled scythe. To my horror, it raised it's right arm and from the darkness of it's sleeve a pale hand extended and it pointed straight at me. That is when I screamed. I flung myself upon by bed and I screamed like I had never screamed before, long and loud and piercing.
Ned rushed in first, shirtless and in baggy long johns. Even in my terror I thought he looked marvellous. I pointed to the window and he looked out and shook his head. I jumped up to look myself, but the figure was gone. Father entered next then Fanny and Jane. Ned grabbed a pillow and clutched it to his magnificently sculpted chest. Willy Tert appeared at the door all wide eyed and runny nosed and Jane left, to put him back to bed.
I explained what I had witnessed and we all gathered about the window to peer out. All was silent, then we heard a shuffling outside the door. We all turned, looked and held our breath. The door slowly swung open to reveal a dark figure in the passageway beyond. It stepped into the light and Ned dropped the pillow and grabbed me and we both screamed together.
Mrs Norris with her hair in ringlets, and her bosom barely restrained by a cotton nightdress is enough to startle any man. So I felt no shame. Ned sat with me awhile after everyone else had gone back to bed. My heart was still racing though now it was not through fear.
"Do you believe me when I tell you what I saw, Ned?" I asked.
"Of course," he lied.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Austen,

This is an intriguing turn of events if somewhat black in nature. I hope this turns out to be just a nightmare brought on only by some remnant of the crow pie. However I can't imagine how you or Ned will recover from the horrifying sight of Mrs. Norris in such disarray. Perhaps the consolation of each other will help.

Hopefully yours,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr Mous, (or under the circumstances perhaps it should be 'Moose'...Ha! Ha!)

Of course! The 'Crow Pie!' It is surely the after effects of partaking of that. I never considered such a thing.

Yours gratefully,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Laugh and call me 'Moose' if it pleases you but I didn't think I was that unattractive. This is the description I found. Moose live in all parts of Canada.
Appearance:
The moose is an funny-looking animal with very long legs, big hooves, a humpback and a very short tail. It has large ears, a wide droopy nose and an overhanging top lip. A long flap of fur-covered skin (called a bell) dangles under the chin.
Other facts:
-Males can weigh 600 kg. (over 1200 pounds). Because moose are such large animals they have to eat a lot of food every day.
-Moose often live alone.
-They try to avoid humans.
- The moose has poor eyesight and relies on a keen sense of smell.
-A moose will go crashing through the trees when frightened.
-An angry moose can be very dangerous.
And lastly a trait I do not admit:
-In September and October the bulls use their antlers to fight each other to win females.
One nicer thing though:
-Man hunts the moose. Moose meat is very tasty.

Canadianly yours,

B.