Friday

Friday 9th May 1808

Dear Diary,
I have been lying low and keeping my head down and remaining in the confines of the Grange. Fanny has done her best to plead my innocence up at Cobbler's Bottom but folk are quick to point a finger and reluctant to change their views.
The weather has been delightful and I have been tempted to dust off my tackle and get my rod out down by the pond but have had to content me, playing solo, with my shuttlecock behind Ned's shed. At one point I misjudged a stroke and overshot the mark and my shuttlecock struck the shed. Ned emerged from where he had been whittling.
"Crikey, Mr Austen, you gave me a fright. Nearly slipped with my knife and 'emasturbated' myself!" He laughed.
" Ned, " I replied, "I'd like to help you with your diction sometime if you would allow me."
He coloured, dropped his gaze and said;
" Thank you sir, but I manage quite well with that on my own," and he slipped back inside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written!

Most sincerely,

Sir Studly Buckwell

Wayne Austen said...

My Dear Mr Buckwell,

You are, indeed, a man of great taste.

Yours graciously,

Wayne Austen