Monday

Monday 5th May 1808

Dear Diary,
Crossing the hallway this morning, I heard a knock upon the door and went to answer. Ned came running too and we both opened it together. Standing below upon the step was a very handsome young fellow with tousled blonde hair spilling out from beneath his cap. He was slightly taken aback by the double welcome and suddenly remembering his cap, balanced the box of vegetables he was carrying upon one knee and whisked it off his head. He stood upright again, regained his composure and said;
"Excuse me, but do you take deliveries around the back?"
Before I could say anything Ned spoke up.
"Well, I don't, personally, but I think he might," he said, indicating towards me. I gave him such a withering look in return that the cheeky smile was gone from his face in an instant and he visibly shrank before me.
" Much as I would like to take you myself," I replied to the handsome lad with a smile, "I will leave it for our servant, Ned, here to do it. I must make preparations for a day of walking in the hills."
"Ned, take him up the back passage!" I ordered and he did.

No comments: