Sunday

Sunday 11th May 1808

Dear Diary,
How unfortunate that I returned too late to attend Chapel this morning with the 'good' Christian people of Cobbler's Bottom. My trip to Netherpool did not disappoint. Life is all about new experiences and I felt I lived a little last night. I made some new acquaintances, well known in that place and they lead me on, though some might say, astray. Much of the evening was spent carousing in a dark and crowded basement where many were dressed in leather garments...well, when I say dressed, I mean that loosely, like some of the garments in fact. One generous fellow of heart and girth, leaned towards me and asked if I liked 'puppies'. I replied that I did indeed. He smiled and he handed me a small bottle which I was about to drink but he stayed my hand and indicated that it was for sniffing. How odd! I declined telling him I had very sensitive olfactory organs. I doubt he understood for he expressed a desire to handle them. I laughed and asked how could he get up my nasal orifices with such large hands. Worryingly, he seemed keen to try so I excused myself and went to the lavatory. On returning I entered the wrong door and found myself in what appeared to be a dark cupboard. I turned to exit and suddenly realised I was not alone for a number of hands reached out from the darkness to pull me back in. I managed to extricate myself with some dignity though I fear I may have seemed a little dishevelled and flushed on returning to my new friends. It was the early hours of the morning when I finally got out into the cool night air. One of my new acquaintances, a Mr Ribbleton, offered me shelter at his abode and we rode the short distance to Neston. What an accomodating fellow he was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Austen,

I too have often relied on the kindness of strangers.

Blanche Dubois

Wayne Austen said...

My Dear Ms Dubois,

One has to be careful in such instances as I am sure you know. I trust you carry with you the necessary protection.

Yours protectively,

Wayne Austen