Tuesday

Tuesday 1st January 1808

Dear Diary,
Dull again! As far as I see it this year seems very much like the last. However, I did catch a respectable perch in the pond this morning and took it as a gift to the ladies at Cobbler's End. Fanny has been a frequent visitor but it was the first time I had been invited to tea. Miss Mona Lott and Miss Constance Noring are agreeable company indeed and I think I see why Fanny is so drawn to them. I have recently discovered that Miss Lott has a passion for the Parson's organ, much like my own whereas Miss Noring is much more a lady of the outdoors. (She does not ride side saddle!). I presented them with my fish and we settled down to tea. The conversation was a little stilted at first, mainly about the weather. I enquired if they liked fish and they glanced at each other and agreed they did. I informed them that Mrs Crutchlow had recommended lotion for crabs and wondered if it would be the same for fish. There was a moment's silence, until Miss Noring said they were very fond of cucumbers too, at which point Fanny spluttered most of her tea across the rug. They have a very cosy accommodation and they said I was at liberty to finger their knickknacks. There was such an array of ornaments upon the mantle including a small china monkey playing upon a pink oboe which they said was Meissen. I had never heard of it before but I must confess I was very much taken by this Meissen Monkey and thought it delightful. We shall have to invite them back to the Grange soon and I will have to enquire of Mrs Crutchlow if there is indeed something surprising which she can make for our guests from cucumbers.

2 comments:

meissenmonkeylover said...

Thank-you, Master Austen. This was very sweet of you...now, back to reading from the beginning of December! :-)

Wayne Austen said...

My Dear Mr Meissen...et al,
You are most welcome, after all was it not you that ruptured my literary hymen and posted the first comment regarding my writings?
Yours gratefully,
Wayne.