Tuesday

Tuesday 8th January 1808

Dear Diary,
I am in a dark mood. Sometimes it comes upon me. Is it the weather or the darkness of the mornings and evenings at this time of year? Is it loneliness and a craving for affection? I am unhappy and yet I know I have much to be grateful for and compared to many, I am blessed. However I still wallow in self pity and gaze out at the dullness of the day. Am I the only one without a hand to hold? Am I the only one who has not laughed these past hours? I know the root of all this, if I am honest. It has nought to do with weather or darkness. I also know the cure for my ills but it is so far from my reach and I fear the distance between, widens. I am an incomplete puzzle and the final piece, having a mind of it's own, does not wish to complete me and runs and searches for a puzzle of it's own. In the darkness and solitude of last night I contemplated a complete and final disassociation if only to stem the ache I feel inside. I held my pillow so tightly and prayed for the comfort of sleep and my prayers were granted.
I find ,today, my resolve has weakened and that is not because I am a weak man but more likely, no doubt, down to stupidity. It is not easy for a man to cut off one of his own limbs and I fear that is how it would seem. Today I still breathe and the ache has numbed slightly.
I took some air, walking the woodland paths and encountered Old Collette Fairfax humping faggots homeward. How she has haunted me recently. I turned around to avoid confrontation but then my mood made me continue onward. I was not to be cowed by a frail old woman. As we met I spoke, " I deeply apologise Miss Fairfax for the dangerous encounter the other day but I feel it did not warrant your attack upon my horse and I trust that in future you mind my property." " Ah, niver touched yer 'orse" she spat back, " now leave me be!" "I believe you to be a liar and if I never see you again Miss Fairfax, " I replied, " it would be far too soon".
The evening is wild and my casement is rattling. The sky weeps. I know how it feels.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The aged poor can be a damned nuisance and a danger to traffic.

Could you not apply to have Colette Fairfax committed to the workhouse?

Yours etc,

Sir Studly Buckwell

Wayne Austen said...

My Dear Mr Buckwell,

The fate of Collette Fairfax is fast upon us...read on!

Yours etc,

Wayne Austen.