Thursday

Thursday 24th January 1808

Dear Diary,
Such a cold day. Walking to the Chapel I was caught in a sudden hailstorm and the leafless trees provided no shelter. How those tiny icy balls stung my face! In the Chapel I ran my fingers half heartedly over the Parson's organ for about half an hour and then wandered down to the pond. I took the old rowing boat out to the island and sat in solitude on an old tree stump and stared at the water. I don't know how long I had been sitting before I became aware of being observed but I suddenly felt eyes upon me and I looked up. On the far shore, staring back at me with an impassive gaze, was a creature that looked remarkably like... a wolf! Our eyes locked and we held each others gaze for some moments before it wearily lowered its head, lapped at the water and then wandered back into the trees. I cannot get its gaze out of my head and if I close my eyes, even now, I can see its own eyes staring into mine. It is strange but it feels almost like looking at oneself in a mirror as if it knew how I felt, and I, it. I have mentioned it to no one, nor shall I lest they think I am bonkers as I did the Parson.

No comments: