Sunday

Sunday 27th January 1808

Dear Diary,
I was surprised to see the Bishop had journeyed to our humble Chapel this morning. I knew nought of it and judging by the tiny congregation neither did anyone else. I suspect it has come to his Reverend's attention that the Parson has been preoccupied of late. The service was as incredibly dull as usual though I did notice the Bible quivering in the Parson's hand as he read from the Epistle to Titus. I spent much of the service worrying how I should address the Bishop on departure and in the end decided to say nothing and just bent and kissed his ring.
Back at the Grange I discovered a packet on the hall stand, addressed to me. It seems it had arrived yesterday and no one had thought to mention it. How vexing! It was a book entitled " The Return of Elizabeth Torny". My Mother has an acquaintance, Cornelia Du Plessis, who lives abroad and it had been sent to me by her son, Cesar. He knows of my love of literature and I was most touched by the thought. I doubt I shall read it though.
There was a great deal of activity about the house in readiness for the arrival of the Tents. Their barouche drew up at dusk and we all gathered on the steps to greet them. I was pleased to see them even though Malcolm gave me such a slap on the back that I was quite winded and could scarce speak above a squeak for many minutes. Much of the talk at dinner was balls. Evelyn seems quite infatuated with them. She certainly seems to have a great deal of experience and described some magnificent ones. In the end I could not remain quiet at all this flaunting of balls and said that I did not think the size of a ball mattered or where and how it was held. I said that I had attended small yet perfectly enchanting balls. Malcolm, slapped me on the back again and said " Well said!"
"Thank you" I squeaked.

No comments: