Saturday

Saturday 26th January 1808

Dear Diary,
The ladies of Cobbler's End, Miss Mona Lott and Miss Constance Noring, called for lunch today at Fanny's invitation in return for their recent hospitality. I had charged Mrs Crutchlow to be creative with cucumbers, aware of the ladies fondness for the cylindrical vegetable. She had prepared cucumber soup followed by stuffed cucumber wedges. While I enjoyed the soup, I did not partake of the stuffed cucumber wedges as they were stuffed with cream cheese and looked most unpleasant. The ladies seemed quite unmoved and did not comment upon our efforts. After the meal Fanny said, " My dear brother, may I trouble you to leave us now to gusset..." she flushed, "...I mean gossip, in private." I graciously retired to my room and contented myself with being my own best friend.

No comments: