Saturday

Saturday 19th January 1808

Dear Diary,
Yesterday I was absorbed in my latest read which I completed late last night. It was a tale of pure love, a seemingly unrequited love, that did not waver over time and conquered in the end. I could not write after as my eyes were swimming and I needed the comfort of my pillow.
Today, a word I heard recently, 'cherish', has filled my head. I asked Fanny, on a stroll around the garden, what she understood by the word 'cherish'. She said that it 'implied great affection and holding something dear'. Mother said it 'implied a strong attachment' and Ned said " You can make lovely pies from them." If someone cherished your friendship does that not imply a desire to nurture and sustain it? I have heard nought from Mr Fairweather in recent weeks, not since my last missive expressing a desire to see him at his earliest convenience. I can only surmise he is wary of me now or has found other amusement closer at hand.
At dinner tonight, Father announced that our cousins, the Tents, are to visit us shortly. Fanny winced and Jane sighed but I think it will make for some distraction between now and my visit to London. It has been sometime since I have seen Malcolm and Evelyn Tent. I am sure we will find them most agreeable.

No comments: