Monday

Monday 14th January 1808

Dear Diary,
How strange! A missive arrived today for an unknown person but addressed at this place. I dare not open it for fear of finding intimate contents. The sender appears to be from Scotland, in a place known as Torphichen, but I have never heard of it. Who would have thought that someone so far north could communicate let alone write? Will wonders never cease? I have wracked my brains today to try and recall my acquaintance of any such Scottish fellows. I can only remember two. The first was a Donald Oswald Tobias-Scott. Indeed his name could be said to be longer than our acquaintance. He was a charming fellow who tarried, briefly, with my heart before departing for France on business. I have never heard of him since, though I had heard rumour of some involvement of a Les Cargot. The second was a sorry fellow whose name escapes me at the moment. After some amusing communication by post he arrived, only to state he believed he had the pox and I quickly bundled him back again from whence he had come. Is it not a wonder then , that I view such fellows with caution? However I am intrigued greatly as to whom the sender is and am hoping that some light may be shed upon this mystery.

No comments: