Sunday

Sunday 20th January 1808

Dear Diary,
Oh, where is the Sun? Such dull days do nothing for ones humour! I took some exercise and braved the Knob even though it had a white cap of low cloud. Up there the mist was quite thick and it is fortunate my feet are familiar with its treacherous roots. I must admit it became quite eerie as I went on and I had a growing feeling of being observed. My pace slowed and my senses became keener and my heartbeat thundered in my chest. I was almost at the top when suddenly I heard something rushing towards me through the trees and three deer blundered out of the mist in panic. The word that I uttered is not one that I normally emit during my regular social intercourse, though I have heard that some do, and yet in the circumstances I think it was appropriate. I returned to the Grange and sought out Mrs Crutchlow in the Scullery. " I fancy some crumpet, Mrs Crutchlow and something stiff to calm my nerves". I told her of the incident up on the Knob and retired to the Sitting Room to wait my refreshment. Ned brought it in a moment later saying " Mrs Crutchlow tells me you nearly had the horn today Mr Austen. Nasty". Sometimes I feel Ned gets a bit above his station!

No comments: