Wednesday

Wednesday 27th August 1808

Dear Diary,
Breakfast is far more formal here at Far Corfe Hall than at Thrushcock Grange. One hardly dare bite into a toasted teacake for fear of the 'crunch' let alone speak. Yet Mrs Norris does allow her Winky to eat at the table beside her, which I find quite disturbing, as his table manners leave something to be desired. Miss St Amour excused herself and left us both alone, Mrs Norris and I that is, not Winky and I.
"Wayne," she whispered conspiratorially and leaned over towards me. I found myself staring into the chasm at her chest and steadied myself upon my chair for fear of toppling in.
"What do you know of the Hoar?"
"Pardon?" I blinked.
"Our neighbour, the river. It is born high up upon Strokesack Mountain, I believe and converges with the Pimp before flowing out to the sea. I think we shall take a stroll along it's bank this morning. But tell me, how are your feelings for Miss St Amour progressing? I trust you are not insensitive to her charms."
I opened my mouth to reply but she went on.
"She is undoubtedly of good character and as far as I can tell, not without wealth and consequence. I am aware that there is an increasing tendency for people these days to marry for love but regardez moi. Mr Norris did not and I am comfortable in my surroundings. Wayne, there is no shame in wealth. I shall enquire of my well placed acquaintances and see what can be unearthed of her heritage and standing."
The walk by the river was pleasant enough, though the pace was sedate, and the conversation stilted. We were on our way back to the Hall when suddenly a peacock cried out and startled Winky causing him to tumble down the bank into the river. Mrs Norris shrieked even louder than the peacock,
"Oh, save him! Save my Winky!"
Of course I would have leapt in but my heart was still in palpitation at the two sudden noisy outbursts. It was Miss St Amour who came to the beasts rescue as she leapt in and whisked him up in her arms, her skirts billowing up about her waist in the thigh high water. She handed the dripping creature up to me and clamboured out. Mrs Norris was overjoyed and shouting her heartfelt thanks, rushed in to dry her pet.
"And now you are a heroine, " I smiled... but my gaze was drawn down to an incongruence at her chest. Her bosoms were not even, as one had appeared to have dropped. She noticed my gaze and clutching her hands to her chest said,
"If you would excuse me, I must change," and she departed in some haste.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Interesting the things that sometimes come out in the wash.

B.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear!

-h

Starched Collar said...

My word!

Why Miss St. Amour is, is... a thespian??? I had no idea! Oh, that is charming!

Your humble servant,
Beau Tibbs