Friday

Friday 15th August 1808

Dear Diary,
As I had been late to bed I was late to rise and rose feeling stiff and tender in places I care not to mention. I ate breakfast, or more a brunch, alone and then lay upon the chaise longue and watched the grey clouds drift past. After some time I heard muffled voices outside the door and then Mother entered. I could see she had something upon her mind as she moved awkwardly and did not know what to do with her hands. She feigned the act of searching for something and then with a sigh sat down upon a chair. The room was silent for many minutes while I waited for the inevitable speech.
"Wayne dear, your Father and I are concerned about you," she said.
"There is no need to be," I replied.
"Well, we are," she rebuffed. "You appear to wander aimlessly through life and live by whim. Opportunities are presented and you seem to let them go rather than grasp them wholeheartedly."
"What opportunities?" I sat up.
"Life changing opportunities," she went on, " so we have decided to act upon your behalf and made arrangements for you to visit Mrs Norris."
"What?... Why?...When?" I was dumbfounded.
"The middle of next week and we shall hear no more about it. It is for your own good." She stood and moved to the door.
"I shall not go, I would rather visit........Bolton." I snapped petulantly.
She stopped at the door, turned and fixed me with an intense stare;
"Wayne, you are going to Far Corfe!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne, Tell them that you write an entertaining blog that just this minute received over 1300 hits on Google.

Before you tell them, though, make sure that you work out a plan with Ned so that he's able to attack the coach taking you to Bedlam and escape with you to a shining shore, where you can take long walks on the beach and reminisce.

-h

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Hahaha Mommy is on your case now.
This is going to be good.
I like to see you squirm.

Anticipating,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear distant 'Horatio?'

'Blog? Google? What language is this? Aha, a clue to your whereabouts is surmise!

Yours deductively,

Wayne Austen

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose'

Thank you for your concern in my hour of need.

Yours huffily,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

I fear Mr Austen, your parents may be right. You have, of late, been wandering aimlessly steadily resisting every opportunity of happiness presented to you. Your parlance alone is a cause for concern. Brunch? I declare Mr Austen, such utterances are only heard in the colonies.

Yours disapprovingly,

H in Agbrigg

Anonymous said...

Wayne,

This is Vincent from http://www.divinediary.com , thanks for pop by my blog.

Care to exchange link?

Awaiting.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog!! http://malesathome.blogspot.com/

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Agbrigg resident,

To disapprove is your right, but my life is my own and I shall wander it's pathways ere I am wont. I fear we shall have to embrace the colonies before long and I am not afraid to move with the times. I look forward not behind...but I do see the attraction in a compact behind.

Yours not caring a jot!

Wayne Austen