Monday

Monday 18th August 1808

Dear Diary,
Father has gone to Manchesterford. I expect he shall return once I have been sent to Far Corfe. I feel he finds it difficult to face me in light of the interference in my affairs, either that or my Mother feels he will let the cat out of the bag ere long and has banished him. I have managed to glean further details from Mother. I asked how long I am expected to set aside for this excursion, as I was hoping to journey back to Edinburgh, before the Thespians had departed. She said that the arrangement was that I was to Far Corfe and how long I remained there was at my own liberty but that she hoped that under the circumstances I might be inclined to remain there sometime. She said that making other plans was inadvisable at the present and then placing a hand upon my arm, said; "We are only thinking of what is best for you. Let us wait and see the outcome."
Oh, how my mind boggles! Who would have thought that I would end up impatient to be there and see what is afoot?
Fanny wonders if I am being sent to manage Mrs Norris's estate yet, I know of no one more shrewd than she. I doubt she will let anyone handle her purse, let alone open it and dip their fingers in. I fear anyone brave enough to attempt that will find their knuckles severely rapped.
The afternoon saw the unannounced arrival of Willy's aunt Helen; "Mrs Helen Back, at your service, but friends call me Helly." She seemed to be coping quite well with the tragic death of her sister and had come to relieve us of Willy and take him back into the bosom of their family back in Horsforth.
"Is that near Leeds?" I asked.
"Indeed it is, Sir," she nodded.
How awful, I thought.
Jane had expected this day to come and yet was unprepared and her parting with Willy was tearful. Willy too sobbed and in the end was all but dragged away by this aunt he barely knew.
"He is better off with his family, Dear," comforted Mother, after his little fingers were wrenched from clinging to the door and we were finally able to close it.
"Well," I breathed, to break the melancholy silence, "I am sure that, given time, he shall grow to... to...well, to....
like Helly Tert."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Best of luck to you indeed for it is a sad state of affairs when ones own parents send him away to Far Corfe. However worse things happen at sea, it may be the making of you.

Hurry home,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My Dear Mr 'Moose',

Indeed, being naked on the poop deck surrounded by seamen....I still go into spasm at the thought.

Yours contemplatively,

Wayne Austen