Friday

Friday 29th August 1808

Dear Diary,
Revelations!
Danielle and I were out punting, this morning, upon one of the more languid sections of the Hoar when we noticed Willow upon the bank, gesticulating.
"I know of a weeping willow but observe, my dear, that waving Willow upon the bank yonder," I quiped.
I manouvered our flimsy craft towards the shore to see what was afoot.
"Mrs Norris requires you in the drawing room at once, Mr Austen," said Willow.
"Can you handle a pole, Willow?" I asked, handing him mine.
"I have indeed handled a few in my time,Sir but to handle yours would be a delight I could not resist," he smiled.
I left them and hurried into the hall.
"Wayne," said Mrs Norris as I entered the drawing room, "Come sit beside me. I have shocking news." She seemed quite flustered and agitated.
"Is it Winky?" I asked with mock concern, hoping for the good news of his demise.
"Oh no," she smiled, " he is much better. No, it concerns Miss St Amour. Prepare yourself for some shocking news, I am still quite ill from hearing it myself."
She leaned closer to me and I tried not to look down.
"Miss St Amour is....... is all alone in the world, " she gasped. "Her family perished in a fire at their home when she was but nineteen; Father, Mother and brother, only she survived the conflagration. Oh the poor, poor dear! Is that not dreadful news? Does that not make your heart weep for her? Oh, Wayne, she deserves some happiness. She deserves some family. Winky adores her and she him. She plays with him as if he were her own Winky. You could make her happy Wayne. You have my blessing and I know you have the blessing of your parents. She leaves this very evening there is no time left for hesitation. You must go to her and ask for her hand, I simply must insist."
"Mrs Norris," I replied, "I cannot deny that Miss Amour is delightful company and I am very fond of her, but..."
"I shall hear no 'buts'!" She stood. "I cannot force you Wayne but you would be a....... a........nincompoop, to miss this opportunity. Good day!" And she swept out.
I confess I pondered her words and searched my heart for the rest of the day until the time of her departure but still had not made up my mind as to what I should do. Mrs Norris fussed over her for many minutes and clasped her to her bosom many times, all the while glowering at me. Finally, I stepped up.
"Danielle, it has been a pleasure," and I offered her my hand. She did not take it but stepped forward and kissed me upon my lips for a few lingering moments, then turned and mounted the coach.
It slowly began to move off down the drive and was beginning to pick up pace when I heard someone shout "WAIT!"
It was me.
It drew to a halt and I ran up to it and Danielle opened the door and looked out in concern.
"Miss St Amour, " I breathed, "Will you do me the great honour of becoming my wife?"
She gasped and clutched the pearls about her neck, and looked quite bewildered but then a smile lit up her face and she nodded as a tear slipped down her cheek.
I turned towards the hall and all who were gathered for her departure and cried;
"She has accepted!"
Mrs Norris dissolved into happy sobs.
Willow was crying too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Pray go for a long engagement. Pay heed to the 16th century proverb: "Marry in haste, repent at leisure".

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose',

Have you ever tried to stop a charging moose? I fear once Mrs Norris picks up speed it would be a foolish man who gets in the way of her bumpers.

Yours resignedly,

Wayne Austen

Huy Vũ said...

Hey! Your blog is really great! nice to know you!