Sunday

Sunday 3rd August 1808

Dear Diary,
I feel I have seriously neglected the glorious countryside hereabouts of late, though to be fair it has not been through idleness.
After Chapel I ventured out into the woods that circle the Knob and wandered the old familiar paths and byeways, I have grown to love. The air was fresh and clean and the earth was damp and foisty. The recent heavy showers appeared to have cleansed the abundent greenery so that the leaves shone as they fluttered on the branches. The birds sang joyfully from the treetops and young rabbits scurried across the path as I moved along it. There was a definite spring in my step as I drank in the sights and the sounds of the verdant world about me.
I was rejoicing in the wonder of nature when I stepped upon a toad.
What a mess it made of my boot!
I hobbled home, with hand clasped over my mouth to stifle my retching, where Ned pulled it off and cleaned it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

You in many ways put me in mind of the Dickens character Mr. Micawber when he says "I've often called upon Lady Luck; but so far, I've only met her daughter--Miss Fortune."

However you have struck gold in that man Ned for it is often easy to find someone who will pull it off but to clean it afterward is exceptional.

Yours enviously,

B.

Starched Collar said...

Foisty? Foisty! Oh Wayne, that is rich! We here in the colonies had to LOOK IT UP! Are you using Dr. Johnson's dictionary? Oh, I must use the word, I must! I must apply it to everyday living. My navel offends, so can I speak of my slightly stained under-garments as being foisty? A good washer woman is hard to come by here in Upper Canada...

Sincerely

Beau

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

I have to agree with Beau 'foisty' was a bit difficult to ascertain especially in the woods far to the north of Upper Canada. Even a sojourn to the closest settlement to me being the military establishment on Penetanguishene Bay to view their aged dictionary was of little use.

However owing to the lateness of the hour before I could depart there I was allowed to shelter for the night in the soldiers barracks and believe me by early morn when I was aroused by any number of cocks welcoming the dawn I now feel I have a sense of 'foisty'.

Your learned friend,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr Tibbs,

A gentleman never speaks of his undergarments, let alone the state of them.

Yours queasily,

Wayne Austen

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose',

Penetanguishene? You make it up, surely?

Yours penetaunguishenally ?

Wayne Austen.

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

"Make it up" indeed surely not sir. The name Penetanguishene is from the Ojibwa language meaning "place of the white rolling sands".

The Huron Indians settled here in semi-permanent villages as early as early as 800 AD. Some time between 1610 and 1614 the first Europeans came to this area.
Then in 1817, naval units from Michilimackinac and Schooner Town were consolidated at Penetaguishene.

Yours historically,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose',

I confess I believed you rright up until you mentioned Michilimachinac!
How do you know what is to happen nine years hence? It is still only 1808 is it not?

Yours discombobulatedly,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Excuse me please I should have written that in 1817 naval units from Michilimackinac and Schooner Town 'will be' consolidated at Penetaguishene for I have learned that these plans are afoot.

Yours corrected,

B.