Tuesday

Tuesday 26th August 1808

Dear Diary,
I am finding a great deal more pleasure than I expected in my time here at Far Corfe and it is certainly due to the delightful company of Miss St Amour. We appear to have a great deal in common and our conversations flow with ease and wit. It is obvious that my parents are engaged in match making and for the first time I am strangely conducive to it. I cannot pretend not to be somewhat confused by my feelings, as Miss St Amour is certainly not what I have so often dreamed of attaining and yet I find her so captivating and bewitching and I confess my affection and appreciation of her obvious qualities increases with each passing moment together.
Mrs Norris observes from a distance but it is difficult to remain concealed when one's bosom is as outstanding as hers. Miss St Amour is far less free with her bosom and indeed, keeps it well concealed at all times and I respect that in a lady.
We wandered the grounds and gardens of the hall, when the ever inclement weather allowed. She had been in Amsterdam when she was invited to Far Corfe and had been delayed at the coast for a few days by the tempestuous seas. She had not been told of the reason for her visit and was delighted to see me when she entered the drawing room yesterday.
"I never know what to expect," she said, "but I was relieved to see a face I knew."
"Do you often accept invitations to the homes of people with whom you are not acquainted?" I asked, teasingly.
Her smile faded and she flushed a little.
"You did," she replied, with a little accusation in her voice, "when you attended Herr Kuntz's Ball." She raised a hand to some wayward lock upon her forehead and tidied it away, turning her face from me. When she turned back her smile had returned.
"Do you appreciate a neatly trimmed bush, Mr Austen?" She enquired, gesturing towards the topiary.
Before I could reply we were interrupted by a slight cough and turning saw Woofter lurking amongst the bushes.
He stepped forward apologetically and said Mrs Norris was ready to show Miss St Amour her embroidered muff. I nodded resignedly and she took her leave of us.
"Such a charming lady," I remarked as we watched her stride elegantly across the lawn on those long legs.
"She indeed, has a charm about her, Sir," replied Woofter, "but if I may be so bold as to say, I believe you possess more."
I looked at him fully for the first time but he dropped his gaze in a slight bow and turned to leave.
"Woofter," I said, " such an unusual name."
He turned back to face me and held my gaze.
"It is, I suppose, but then I am not usual, Sir,' he said.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Things may be looking up with two on the hob.

Pray tell what is your cologne?

Woof woof,

B.

Anonymous said...

WOOF!

-h

Wayne Austen said...

My dear gentlemen,

Who let the dogs out?

Yours Bahamenally,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

YOU! YOU!
YOU LET THE DOGS OUT!

B. ;-)