Thursday

Thursday 7th August 1808

Dear Diary,
Another dull and inclement day and yet in the presence of Miss St Amour I have hardly been aware of it. I was keen to acquaint her with 'my' Knob and after breakfast revealed it's grandeur to her. She was most taken with it and greatly enjoyed the vista and has, also, become an admirer of my Python.
This afternoon we walked to the Chapel and I showed her my skill upon the Parson's organ. She was keen to finger it herself and though not as proficient as I, her large hands do afford her, a magnificent stretch.
The intercourse between us was easy and relaxed and there was much laughter. I asked her how she knew my cousin Evelyn Tent, (I first encountered Danielle at Evelyn's funeral) and she said they had been childhood friends. However it seems she is not from the Effin Vale but spent some summers there with neighbours of the Tents. She spoke of meeting Dr Cojones and I realised it must have been she who the good doctor had alluded to when he described a 'bery attractibe lady' asking questions about me. Indeed Dr Cojones had arranged for us to meet at Herr Kuntz's Ball, as she spends much of her time upon the continent, although events did not transpire as well as he had hoped.
Dinner, this evening, was a most pleasant affair and my parents, I surmise, are quite taken with her. Even Willy could not take his eyes off her and laughed at her tales and stories of Europe. The mood of the evening dipped when she sadly informed us of her departure tomorrow.
I am confused and yet joyous at the feelings I have for her, for I find her quite intoxicating. I am sure I will enjoy her company again soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne, I worry about Danielle's travels--isn't there a major war raging across Europe just as you write?

-h

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

I dare say Miss St Amour is favored indeed to be treated with a view of 'your' knob and to say that she became an admirer of your Python goes without saying I am sure.

You are most skilled with the Parson's organ but she could probably get a feel for it with time and your assiduous tutelage no doubt.

Too bad that she is leaving you so soon but isn't there a saying about absence making something grow ....harder? no no it's fonder that's it I am sure, I think.

Yours confused,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear distant Mr 'Huw?'

Fear not! I believe Miss St Amour has a helmet.

Yours confidently,

Wayne Austen

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose'

'Absence makes the heart grow fonder' but in relation to certain people I hope it does indeed make it harder in time.

Yours steadfastly,

Wayne Austen