Tuesday

Tuesday 9th August 1811

Dear Diary,
How pleasant to be once more within some semblance of civilisation.
After some exploration of the boutiques and tearooms of Newtown we returned to the Drakesbottom residence for a musical interlude with little Pansy regaling us with a song about a 'Kookyborough' or something similar.
Tonight we were invited to dine at the home of  Lord and Lady Game-Drive.
Lord Game-Drive or 'Dickie' to his close acquaintances, I found to be rather garrulous and somewhat verbose.  Being fond of rum as Lord 'Dickie' most certainly was, meant that he became even more loquacious and ribald as the evening progressed. I had the misfortune of being seated opposite him for dinner but happily placed between Willow and the charming Quinella Crane who has joined us from Queensland.
The menu was unusual but what can one expect when one is so far removed from ones roots. I nibbled only morsels of the 'entree' for much of it was sullied with 'avocado.' I can only describe it as akin to green slime and I have decided I dislike it just as much as cheese. The fish course was divine, Pink Ling, so delicately prepared and presented.
Whilst we were waiting for the main course to arrive which I noted was 'rissoles', a dish I am not familiar with at all, there happened to be a lull in the conversation so I took the opportunity and leaned forward to address our host, 'Dickie Game-Drive;
"Tell me Sir, I am eager to know if you have balls in these parts?" I enquired politely.
Lord 'Dickie' emptied his umpteenth glass of rum and slapped his hand upon the table before rising from his chair and climbing up onto it.
As his hands moved towards his belt I heard Quinella breathe "Oh My!"
Lord 'Dickie' dropped his breeches and called out;
"How's that for a pair of Bobby Dazzlers!"
Heaven knows Lords are not what they used to be!
I could not face my rissoles.

No comments: