Thursday

Thursday 25th August 1811

Dear Diary,
I slept well and awoke refreshed.
The day was somewhat overcast and so decided to remain indoors rather than gad about. 
I welcomed the lethargy. We have been so mobile of late!
Lady Constanza Snowdon called upon us for luncheon and a few games of canasta. Happily she had remembered my real name and did not once refer to me as 'Jim'.
Whilst playing we suddenly heard a raucous screeching.
"It is just the Hoons," said Willow.
"How raucous and unpleasant the bird calls here," I stated, " I much prefer the more melodious calls of home."
"Oh," exclaimed Lady Constanza, from behind her fan of cards, "I agree Mr Austen."
She paused deep in thought, as she regarded the cards upon the table, before continuing;
"In fact I miss it so much I had one sent over from England."
She chose a card from her hand and placed it purposefully upon the table and leaned towards Willow's mother. 
"Did I tell you I have a little thrush?"
"Do you, Dear?" said Old Ma Woofter, "Then you should go see the apothecary!" 

No comments: