Tuesday

Tuesday 16th August 1811

Dear Diary, 
Fresh air always exhausts one and at last I found comfort in my cot and I slept...that is until I was awakened by a loud clap of thunder. A storm was moving in from across the sea. It also woke Willow. The previous evening had been one of Mah-jong and quaffing so Willow arose in need of some relief. He disappeared onto the verandah and returned almost immediately to hiss;
"There's someone out here!" He went to the window. "I think it's that fellow we got the key from."
"The mysterious 'Huge' Jackman." I breathed. 
As I arrived at the window I was just able to see him disappearing into the privy, illuminated by a flash of lightening.
"I believe I saw him at this very hour last night up to the same mischief no doubt." I whispered to Willow.
We waited for him to return but he did not. Some twenty minutes must have passed and then Willow said "Let us go see what is going on." I was not very enthusiastic about this suggestion but reluctantly agreed.
We crept out across the grass towards the privy. The noise of the waves crashing below the cliff prevented us from hearing any other sounds. We listened intently at the door but could hear no movement from within. Willow pushed open the door and at the same moment a crash of thunder boomed over head. I gripped Willow's arm and stifled a scream. Peering in we could see part of the floor had been removed revealing a dark shaft. Willow leaned in and then dropped down it. 
"Are you coming?" I heard him whisper.
Another clap of thunder persuaded me to remain with him and I too descended into the darkness. We found ourselves in a passageway hewn from the very rock itself. There was light ahead so we moved carefully forward. Suddenly there came the rumbling sound I had heard on previous nights though much louder now accompanied by the trembling of the rock all about us.
"That's the sea," whispered Willow, "I think this passage leads to that cave." 
We drew nearer to the light and then heard the unmistakeable sound of a cat mewling. The passage opened out and we saw some steps leading down into a cavern and there in the lamplight we saw a number of small cages set about the rocks each containing a cat and in the centre, sat upon a rock, 'Huge' Jackman was stroking a pussy. I could not help myself and I gasped out loud at the horror of it.
'Huge' Jackman looked up and espied us.
"Oi!" he shouted and he leapt up.
We turned and hurried back up the passage way. I could hear Jackman close behind us. Willow climbed up into the privy first and then reached down to help me up. Just as I was almost out of the shaft I felt a huge hand slip up my nightshirt and grasp my thigh. I squealed as I felt myself being pulled back down and then the Orchid sisters appeared and grasping my arms with Willow hauled me clear. 
We shut the privy door and clung to the handle as 'Huge' Jackman tried to wrench it open. 
Suddenly Cordelia cried out;
"It is no use, just push! PUSH!" 
She set her back to the privy and we all followed suit and tipped the whole thing over the cliff edge.
We watched as it plunged into the tormented waters below and sink beneath the waves.

No comments: