Monday

Monday 15th August 1811


Dear Diary,

Once I again I lay in my cot awake as the rest of the house slept. 
Yet again there was the distant rumbling and trembling in the night above the sound of the waves upon the shore below and sure enough in moments of lull the sound of a distant mewling came to my attentive ear.  I was certain it was no unknown creature of the night for all the night creatures I have encountered thus far sound like the Devil himself! I peered through the window rather than venture outside as I had bravely done the previous night and gasped as almost immediately I saw a large shadow passing across the moonlight grass outside heading towards the privy. Not one to intrude upon the privacies of others I retired to bed and thought no more of it. 
The day was once more graced by the sun. Willow and I ventured, at low tide, out onto Broulee Island. We discovered an overgrown path leading into the shrubbery and followed it. I stepped gingerly for fear of treading upon a venomous serpent but one time lifted my gaze from the pathway to see something fearfully staring back at me ahead! Looking over my shoulder Willow whispered “It’s a wallaby.” It hopped off into the thicket startled by our approach. 
Reaching the end of the island we stood and looked out across the Specific Ocean and Willow spotted a whale as its back arched out of the water. We watched it rise a few more times before being distracted by a pod of dolphins riding the waves that rolled into towards the shore. I gazed in wonder and thought how different life is here compared to our simple existence at Knob End. We scrambled down to the shoreline and walked back across the rocks. In one of the pools I saw a small octopus grasping at strands of seaweed with its tentacles and it reminded me of Harden Thicke wrestling with the weeds in my own garden. 
We stood for awhile and watched the waves come crashing in upon the rocks until one rather large one rolled in and drenched us from head to toe, warning us of the rising tide and suggesting we return home before being cut off. 
As we approached the headland I noticed the unmistakable figure of ‘Huge’ Jackman in the distance heading our way upon the beach. We watched as he veered off to the right towards the cliff and disappear from view. When we reached the very same spot we saw large footprints upon the sand leading into a cave in the cliff face. We followed them in for some way but it soon became too dark to venture further.  We could hear no sound of him in the gloom ahead. 
It is all quite mysterious!

No comments: