Thursday

Thursday 11th August 1811

Dear Diary,
I was awoken by little Pansy demanding I read her a story whilst Willow snored on. The hour was early but we needed to rise earlier to pack our accoutrements for our journey to Queanbeyan.
When the time came for us to bid our farewell to the Drakesbottoms I was surprised at the depth of my sadness. How strange that one can get so accustomed to new surroundings and the people therein. Little Pansy held out her arms to embrace me and I bent down to allow it. I am not one for the boisterousness of youth and yet I am going to miss little Pansy Drakesbottom. The time spent in her company has been most agreeable.
After Willow had said his goodbyes we boarded the coach and headed south.
Thankfully I had a seat by the window and was well positioned to watch this under world slip trundle by. At times one can forget that one is so far from home so familiar appear the surroundings and then one sees a 'roo' hopping into the undergrowth, startled by our passing and it becomes a very different place indeed.
Yet more of Willow's old acquaintances were there to greet us upon our arrival the charming sisters Cordelia and Cosmo Orchid.
Their abode is high in the hills overlooking Queanbeyan and beyond.
"How do you find our view, Mr Austen?" enquired Cordelia.
"Capital!" I replied, "Just capital!"
A special dinner was thrown in our honour to which a number of guests were invited. Among them a Julia Dullard and a Mr Rabbit. I sensed some animosity between them. In converstation with Mr Rabbit I told him of our journey down from Sydney.
"Indeed," he smiled, "So you have seen a kangaroo and now..." he nodded in the direction of Miss Dullard and affecting a faux Scottish accent, " you have met the 'Ranga Koo'!"

No comments: