Tuesday

Tuesday 23rd August 1811

Dear Diary,
Willow informs me, after some investigation, that he believes the creature which fell upon us in the night is indeed a spider and that apparently it is the most venomous of them all and could even despatch a redback, whatever that is, except that it's fangs are too inadequate to bite humans.
"Ah, but what if I had trapped it with my hand when I slapped at my face in shock and forced it's tiny mandibles into my flesh?" I enquired.
He had no answer to that.
Today we made further repairs to the property and wandered its orchards before visiting some old neighbours in the valley. Two gentlewomen who put me in mind of the 'thespians' at Cobbler's End, Misses Lott and Noring. These women were hardy and had fashioned a delightful home amongst their impressive one hundred acres. They appeared to keep wolves for I noticed a pair tethered some distance from where we were entertained with platters of Mediterranean delicacies! 
It was such a marvellous sunset through the trees and the light upon the hills was magnificent. I almost wished I had some implement that one could take out of ones pocket and capture the moment for all eternity.
I took a bathe in the tub upon the rock and the stars came out to illuminate my ablutions. Such a vast array of heavenly bodies filled the ceiling above me and I observed three race across it before I rose from the steaming waters to find the comfort of a robe. Lighting a lantern almost immediately I noticed two pairs of eyes shining in a nearby tree and called out in alarm. Willow came to my rescue once more informing me it was a harmless pair of ring tailed possums.
Such intrusive creatures!

No comments: