Monday

Monday 22nd August 1811

Dear Diary,
Something fell upon my face in the darkness as I lay in bed. I do not know how I stop myself from crying out in alarm but suddenly Willow was also risen for the creature had also crawled across him. We sought light and scoured around but could see nought of the beast. I suspect it was a spider but am once more thankful for the darkness. 
How kind is the dark!
We ventured into town seeking supplies and equipment for repairs at the farm and returned back into the hills. 
I am bitten upon my upper thigh and it itches so. I know not what is the cause and have had it some two days so thankfully it cannot be one of the poisonous serpents hereabouts for if it were I should surely not be scribing upon you know.
I am promised a bath under the stars. 
Willow has an old tub upon a rock at the back of the farm and before we leave I am to enjoy its pleasures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear Mr. Austen, you may recall my warning of just a few days ago to "watch out for spiders". Faced with this fresh proof of my clairvoyant abilities, it is gratifying to know that I have another means of earning a living, if I ever tire of being a country land owner, or if those damned Frenchies ever succeed in exporting their hellish "revolution" across the channel. In regard of the spider bite on your thigh, I would urge most strongly that you have Willow suck on it in case it might turn purulent.

Yours precognitively, Sir Studly Buckwell bart.