Friday

Friday 12th August 1811


Dear Diary,
We are today travelled to Broulee upon the southern coast. 
It is a place dear to the hearts of the Orchid sisters. 
Our lodgings are small but comfortable and stand upon a headland with magnificent views of the coastline to north and south. All around the house there is a wooden verandah, open to the elements and that is the only way one can access all the rooms. So, for example, if I am feeling a little chill and in need of a jerkin I have to exit the lounge and walk around the verandah and into my bedchamber for the jerkin. The privy is even further away, set apart from the house away towards the cliff edge. 
As I put quill to paper now I can hear the restless sea crashing upon the rocks below us. I sincerely hope it does not keep me from sleep. 
Joining us on our sojourn by the sea are Cordelia’s puppies Muffy and Buffy, Cosmo’s hound Snatch and their pussy Sappho. Willow has succeeded in building a roaring fire in the hearth, competition indeed for the Specific Ocean outside. Muffy, Buffy, Snatch and Sappho are curled up before it, Willow is fingering a Mandola in the corner and the Orchid sisters are snuggled upon the sofa. 
Such a scene of peace and tranquillity there never was.

No comments: