Friday

Friday 5th August 1811

Dear Diary,
I am in shock!
It was not the arrival in Botany Bay to discover that Sydney is in fact a town and not a gentleman acquaintance of Willow's that is the cause of my stupefaction. No, it is much more flabbergasting!
I fear I should have paid more attention to the information afforded me a number of years ago by a Mr Midge.T Gemme, who knew Willow long before I.
Mr Gemme spoke of Willow and of what I assumed wrongly to be of his early farming experience when he spoke of him 'sowing wild oats'. He also spoke of a previous engagement to an Edna Drakesbottom. I fear I now catch the gentleman's drift for today I was introduced to Miss Drakesbottom and it would seem that some of the seed Willow has sown has grown to fruition in the form of Pansy Drakesbottom, Willow's daughter!
She has the same blue eyes and his paternity is without question.
I cannot believe he has not mentioned this to me before! It would appear he came to some arrangement with Miss Drakesbottom regarding the child some years ago and yet assures me his heart is still mine.
I must confess the child is delightful and eloquent for one so young. We spent a pleasant day about the harbour walking and sailing and I cannot deny the pleasure I have felt at seeing Willow so happy and the smiles and laughter of father and daughter at their happy reunion.
There is yet more unexpected news, though not of the same magnitude as that I have just revealed to you.
It would appear we are going into the 'bush' tomorrow, camping with Pansy and Edna for two whole days and leaving what passes for civilization behind.
I am endeavouring to quell my apprehension....until my return.....
Adieu.

No comments: