Wednesday

Wednesday 16th July 1808

Dear Diary,
I am at sea! But, I get ahead of myself.
I was knocked up early by Ned, whilst the rest of the household slept, and after my ablutions he assisted me with my baggage to the waiting carriage.
"I'll bring you something nice back, Ned." I said as I leaned out of the carriage window. "Do you fancy a nice blood sausage? " But before he could reply the carriage lurched forward and my journey began.
The trip to the coast was largely uneventful. Two dour faced sisters boarded at Netherby. I smiled politely and offered them some of Mrs Crutchlow's muffins but they declined and did not return the smile. They alighted at Leeds, so is it any wonder they were so miserable?
How bracing the sea air was when the carriage finally drew up on the quayside. I stepped down and filled my lungs and took in the sights and sounds of that bustling maritime world. I must say I felt a little lost but did not have to wait too long before I was approached by a stocky gentleman with a happy grin.
"Mr Austen?" He asked. I nodded and held out my hand. His grip was cold and slightly damp. "I'm Mr Knutson, but call me Buster. This way please." He turned and moved off. I quickly sniffed my hand and as I feared it smelled of fish.
I had to manhandle my own baggage and tried to keep up with him. Eventually he stopped and with a grand gesture, waved his arm and said "Your vessel." It was named 'The Hepatitis B'. I wanted to ask what happened to 'The Hepatitus A' but thought better of it. The men on board were already up the masts untying the sails and so, now dragging my baggage, I quickly followed Buster up the wooden gang plank.
"Mr Austen, may I introduce Captain Crusoe?" I wondered if I should be concerned and joked;
"It's not Robinson Crusoe, is it?"
The Captain's stern visage did not waver. "No, It's Leslie," he intoned and then he cast a stern glance at Buster Knutson who was having difficulty suppressing a smile. I wondered, perhaps, if his demeanour was down to the fact that one day he too would have to return to Leeds. "Take Mr Austen to his cabin, Mr Knutson, we are about to set sail."
On the way to my cabin Buster introduced me to Seaman Spitz and Seaman Swallows who were on galley duty and said if there was anything I needed, they were the fellows to see.
"And this is your cabin," another expansive gesture and generous smile. I opened the door and peered in, but it appeared to be already occupied for there was clearly someone in the bed.
" Bob! Get out at once!" barked Buster so suddenly that I squealed in surprise.
Out from under the bedclothes crawled a lad of about nineteen and he looked very cowed and sheepish. "Ah were just warmin' it fer Mr Austen," he drawled.
"This is Bob, the cabin boy and if he bothers you again we'll keel haul him," said Buster and Bob ducked out and ran up the passage.
I went out upon the deck later and watched the coastline fade away into the dusk. Watching the sea swirl past was quite mesmerising and when the boat began to pitch more noticably I went below feeling a little queer.
"Anything you fancy Mr Austen?" said Seaman Spitz in the passageway, he began to reel off what was available in the galley but I declined and hurried onto my cabin. "I can recommend Seaman Swallow's spotted dick," he called after me.

3 comments:

Pedro Canto said...

AMAZING!

Loved it, loved it Mister!

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

I think you were wise to travel first class and request the services of bed warmer 'Bob' a chilly damp bed at sea can be harsh, do keep him close to hand and Seaman Swallows sounds obliging although beware of the spotted dick.

And so your journey begins, may it be exciting and challenging and reward you with happy memories.

Ahoi,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr Canto,

Greetings and felicitations. So glad you are fond of it.

Yours happily,

Wayne Austen