Thursday

Thursday 31st July 1808

.....home again, home again, jiggety jig!
After a humid morning in Spitalfields and a wander in the grounds of Somerset House, I took my leave of Mr McVay and mounted the carriage home. How it fairly rattled along and I feared it may overturn at any moment or come off the road. The coachman was indeed in some hurry or completely mad.
When I finally reached home, before entering I stood upon the steps of Thrushcock Grange and relished the peace and quiet of my surroundings and breathed in the fresh and clean air.
On entering the Grange, all was quiet too and I had the sudden feeling that something was amiss.
Jane came out of the parlour and as she saw me her eyes welled up.
"Whatever is the matter?" I entreated her.
" Betty Tert is dead," she sobbed, and she crumbled into my arms. We stood there a few moments and I was thinking that my coat would need cleaning after the canine sputum and now these salty tears, when she suddenly straightened...
"Oh, you have a visitor, shortly arrived and waiting in the parlour."
I handed her my handkerchief and opened the parlour door. Standing by the window, looking out upon the garden, was the unmistakeable figure of Danielle St Amour.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your home. I always worry about you when you're on the road. There are those nasty press gangs waiting around, and highwaymen, and rabid nuns, and small urchins in vowel crises.

-h

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

And a good time was had by all?

Hopefully,

B.

Starched Collar said...

Danielle St. Amour! Mon Dieu! What a sly fox she is... Be careful Wayne, I sense she has a Siren's personality with "her head tilted coyly..." Her reappearance makes me ponder my navel. What a curious and hairy piece of anatomy is mine!

Sincerely,

Beau Tibbs

Anonymous said...

I have just discovered you

Wayne Austen said...

My dear friends,

Fear not! I am come.
I bless you for your concern my dear and distant 'Hagrid?'
I did indeed have an engaging time my dear Mr 'Moose'.
I was existing quite nicely without thoughts of your hirsute anatomy, my dear Mr Tibbs and...
Oh, what is this?...I have been discovered....how intriguing!

Yours uncovered,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

My condolences with regards to the sad news that greeted your return to Thrushcock grange.

Sympathetically,

B.