Monday

Monday 14th July 1808

Dear Diary,
I have been practising my useful german phrases with assistance from my sister, Jane.
'Hallo, ich heisse Wayne. Ich wohne in England. Freut mich sehr, dich kennenzulernen. Entschuldigung, ich verstehe nicht. Bitte sprechen Sie langsam . Es tut mir leid, dich zu ärgern aber wo befindet sich die Toilette, bitte? Herr Ober, da ist eine Fliege in meiner Suppe. Haben sie je daran gedacht, dass wir beleidigt sein könnten, weil Sie kein Englisch gelernt haben? War deine Nase schon immer so? Ich mag dich. Du bist sehr schön für einen Ausländer. Ich liebe dich. Stirb, Rattenarsch.'
I am not quite clear on some of them and am unsure if I am pronouncing them correctly.
I tried them out on Ned...After he wiped his face he said;
"Those germans seem to be fond of dicks Mr Austen."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

It is good that you will be able to tell them your name and where you hail from and slow pronunciation will be of help to you I am sure and "Es tut mir leid, dich zu ärgern aber wo befindet sich die Toilette, bitte?" will be most important if you should be short taken.

I do hope that you never have need of " Herr Ober, da ist eine Fliege in meiner Suppe." there are better ingredients I am sure.

Please be careful to whom you say "Ich mag dich." and "Ich liebe dich." and "Du bist sehr schön für einen Ausländer." might not be taken too kindly and you might have cause to protect your own "naze" for fear of a blow.

Please avoid the use of "Stirb, Rattenarsch" all together.

Yours in disambiguation,

B.