Friday

Friday 18th July 1808

Dear Diary,
I was awoken early by Ben DeKok and we had a simple breakfast of ham and bread. The ham was very tasty and unlike any I have encountered before. I was about to enquire more of it when I heard someone nearby intone; " dieser schinken ist scheisse!" How the Fates smile upon me at times.
We journeyed on and Ben DeKok drove the horses hard. Everywhere one looked there were trees. I doubt these germans have difficulty getting wood.
We changed the horses at a Gasthaus near Petershagen where I was handed my first german sausage. I nibbled upon it, tentatively at first, unsure whether it would be to my taste but I found it pleasing. It seems they did not give me the best kind for as we were leaving Frau Zapp, 'die gastgeberin' cried out, "deed you like ze wurst, mein herr?" I smiled and waved what was left of my sausage in a friendly manner.
We journeyed on through yet more forests but it was a pleasant journey for the german roads are well constructed and tended and there was little jostling or discomfort.
We finally arrived at the hamlet of Celle shortly before midnight. Schloss Kuntz, with it's white-washed facade, was very imposing in the centre of the town. We entered into a courtyard lit by fiery torches and great colourful banners hung from the window ledges and fluttered in the firelight. A solemn but neatly dressed footman assisted me from the carriage. I thanked Ben for his hasty yet safe passage and ventured up the steps to the large wooden doors. As I approached they opened and I beheld a large and quite frightening woman with folded arms. Her hair was pulled back so tightly that I doubted she would be able to shut her eyes. She spoke;
"Begrüßen. Ich bin Frieda Gimpel, die haushälterin. Herr Kuntz schlaft und wird sie am morgen grüßen. Lassen sie mich ihnen zu ihrem zimmer zeigen."
I did not understand a word but just smiled and deemed it prudent to follow her, for this was a woman that I am sure could wrestle bears.
Inspite of the exterior grandeur of Schloss Kuntz, my room was not what I had expected. It was plain and barely comfortable for one who had travelled so far and at such expense. Did I complain? Never! I am an Englishman and we grin and bear it no matter how dire the circumstances or fearsome the servant.
"Guten nacht," I smiled, and slipped in one of Jane's phrases, " Du bist sehr schön für einen Ausländer."
The Frau exited sharply, slamming the door.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Ok, but sometimes that is in short supply.

Patiently yours,

B.

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr 'Moose'

I hope you find your patience rewarded.

Yours eventually,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Yes indeed, amply so.

Yours delighted,

B.