Sunday

Sunday 13th July 1808

Dear Diary,
There was almost a dreadful scene at Chapel this morning when Mr Bunder attempted to crown me with the collection plate. Father intervened and Mother relieved him of the receptacle before clearing up the misunderstanding that appeared to have occurred on Friday. Mr and Mrs Bunder were all smiles thereafter and the service continued as normal.
Fanny will not accompany me to Herr Kuntz's Ball. She has been invited to a soiree at Cobbler's End and has been promised 'hare pie' and cannot be dissuaded, not even for the promise of a large 'wiener'. I know I am very much looking forward to tasting one. I contemplated asking Father if he could manage without Ned for a few days, for I believe he would look well in lederhosen, but then Ned was full of excitement at visiting Titty next weekend and I decided I could not deprive him of that and so am resigned to venture abroad alone.
I will depart early Wednesday for Hull and there catch a boat to Holland from whence I shall journey on to the hamlet of Celle near Hannover. All being well I will arrive Friday evening, ready for the ball upon Saturday evening.
It shall certainly be an adventure I am sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne (and I repeat it many times: Wayne-Wayne-Wayne-Wayne--not Ned or Sam or Emmanuel),

I've been to Celle! I even helped deliver milk there early one misty Monday morning!

You'll have a lovely time! The have tremendous balls and succulent wieners. And it's near the Lüneburger Heath!

In the words of Walther von der Vogelweide:

Under the linden
On the heath
Where we two made our bed
There you'll find
Broken flowers and grass
...
Tandaradey!
And a nightingale sang beautifully!

-h

Wayne Austen said...

My dear distant 'Heimlich?'

I beg you...get some therapy!

Yours alarmed,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

You are indeed so misunderstood. There are many in this world like the Bunders who act first and understand later. Concern yourself not with them, they do not matter.

Fanny's loss may be your gain, extra 'wieners' for you. As for hare pie I find the mere thought of it repellant and fear she will be picking hairs out from between her teeth for some time afterward. No, give me a juicy 'wiener' anytime.

I too fancy seeing Ned in lederhosen perhaps you could purchase some, in a snug fitting size, and have him wear them after you return whilst he is handling his chopper and getting wood. Ned is an obliging fellow and I feel quite sure he would be willing to indulge your whim if he knew how much it would please.

Have a pleasant and safe journey Wayne.

Looking forward to your return,

B.