Thursday

Thursday 3rd July 1808

Dear Diary,
Germany is, indeed, a long way to journey for a ball. Am I really so desperate for balls? I believe I am, and yet I have many things to ponder. Are German balls similar to our own balls? What is the etiquette for attending a German ball?
My invitation said that I was welcome to bring a companion and at breakfast I broached the subject with Fanny. She did not seem too intrigued and I feared her ardour for balls was waning. When I asked if she had heard anything of the host, Herr Kuntz, she replied she had not, but that he sounded charming and I could see her interest was piqued after all. I shall not push her too hard as yet for there is still time to prepare. The ball is not until the 19th but arrangements will have to be made soon.
Tomorrow Mother and Father leave to visit Mrs Norris at Far Corfe Hall for the week. Thrushcock Grange will be rather quiet as Mrs Crutchlow has leave to visit family and Ned has been asked by a sheep farming uncle to assist in the retrieval of his hillside flocks for shearing and so he too will be away for four days.
"Do you like camping, Mr Austen?" he asked as I encountered him bearing wood.
"I have never experienced it." I replied.
"You wanna go wild, Mr Austen?" He was teasing me now.
I am a man who enjoys the small comforts of life but perhaps I need to broaden my experience. I was impulsive.
"If you are asking, Ned, then my answer is yes. Let us indeed go wild."
He dropped the log on his foot in surprise but was hooting with laughter even though in pain.
"Where are we off to?" I enquired.
"Up Strokesack Mountain!" he winked.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne, mein Kind, I have had some experience with German balls, and I can tell you that they're quite as delightful as those in other lands.

-h

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

I have no experience regarding German balls but I see no reason for them not to be as warm and inviting as any other nationality. Balls are balls I say, never pass up a chance to grasp these opportunities with both hands Wayne.

Ned bearing wood and asking you to go camping "Up Strokesack Mountain!" now that is an invitation to go wild. Take it by all means.

Insistingly yours,

B.

Anonymous said...

Wayne,

Is going wild the same thing as what I've heard some people call "going commando"?

-h

Wayne Austen said...

My dear distant Mr 'Harry?'

You are indeed a man of experience and your knowledge of German balls is most welcome. 'Going commando'? I am unsure but it does sound like something a gentleman does not do.

Yours comfortably,

Wayne Austen

Anonymous said...

My dear Mr. Austen,

based on my personal observations, I would suggest that German balls are on average, somewhat larger than English ones. Some of the largest balls I have encountered were in Ireland, but I digress.

Far Corfe Hall and Strokesack Mountain sound intriguing... My curiousity is very aroused.

Yours curiously,

Sir Studly Buckwell