Wednesday

Wednesday 30th April 1808

Dear Diary,
I have been skulking and deceiving but all for the good of others. Yesterday I went about the business of the day as normal but after dinner in the evening, I slipped out into the dusk and retrieved the bag of Chapel silver from the bushes where Woody presented it to me. I was creeping around the back of the Grange when I bumped into Fanny.
"What is afoot?" She demanded.
"Don't ask," I replied, "for I cannot tell. Just know that all I do is for good."
"Be careful," she whispered after me as I set off down the lane. As I approached the Chapel I noticed a glow from within. I slipped in and noticed the candles upon the altar aflame. I ducked behind a pew as the Parson emerged from the vestry and busied himself behind his pulpit. After a few moments he returned to the vestry and I crept from hiding and moved towards the front of the Chapel. However the Parson rememerged and I had to crouch behind a pillar. The Parson extinguished the candles and moved down the aisle and went out into the night, closing the door behind him.
I was alone in the dark and the silence. If there had been no moon I would have bruised my legs more than I did as made my way to the altar. I replaced the silver in it's rightful places and, feeling pleased with the relative ease of my clandestine actions, returned to door. I have no doubt that any other person would have skipped off home happily full of delight at the righting of a wrong, but I am Wayne Austen and the magpies despise me and nought in my life is so simple.
I grasped the knob, turned it and pulled, but nothing happened. I repeated my actions far too many times for a normally sane person before I accepted that it was indeed locked and that I was entombed in that Holy place for the night. It is never locked but then it had never been robbed afore. I searched for other exits but finding none sank onto a pew. For all the dark and the silence, I felt strangely at ease and resigned myself to my fate.
I did not sleep well but must have for some little time as I was awakened this morn by the door swinging open and the sound of purposeful footsteps upon the stone floor. Mrs Bunder swept past carrying a bundle of greenery and flowers for decoration. She did not see me and I was able to slip out unnoticed and return to the Grange. I decided upon a plausible story to explain my absence but unfortunately found it had been explained by another. It seems Fanny took it upon herself to invent a secret rendezvous with Miss Quirrel, the school teacher in Cobbler's Bottom.
If Ned winks at me one more time I fear I may have need of his chopper!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I am Wayne Austen and the magpies despise me."

Magpies perhaps, but not your loyal fan base!

Wayne Austen said...

My Dear Mr Mous,

Bless you!

Yours appreciatively,

Wayne Austen.