Saturday

Saturday 19th April 1808

Dear Diary,
I know not with what mushrooms Mrs Crutchlow embellished my omelette at breakfast but it has been the oddest of days. I ventured up the Knob as you well know I am wont to do and was gazing out across the verdent vista before me and enjoying the solitude when the melodious chorus of birdsong was drowned out by the strangest of sounds. I can only liken it to the rushing of a wind, too and fro conjoined with the sound of waves upon a beach. I could not determine from which direction it came for it seemed to be all about me but finally turned to discover a small blue shed had been erected where no shed had been just moments before. As I stood there, bewildered, the shed door opened and out stepped a gentleman with long auburn hair.
"O'right," he laughed, " bet that gave you the willies!"
I smiled weakly. The red haired gentleman was in reality a woman, but wearing breeches! Then out stepped another fellow, who looked in need of a good meal but who had the most charming of smiles. He stepped forward and effusively shook my hand and said "Hello, I am the Doctor and this is Donna. Look, Donna did I not tell you that this was a magnificent view?" He moved on past me and opened his arms as if attempting to gather the view into his embrace.
"I'm sorry for our rude entrance," he continued " but we've just had a bit of a stressful time helping some Ood and needed to unwind a bit and Donna here is a city girl and I like to expand her horizons. You come here often?"
I nodded feebly.
"What? Cat gotcha tongue?" said Donna as she stepped forward and slapped my back in a manner not unlike Malcolm Tent.
"Oh, innit luvverly," she gushed. "What year is this and what is this place called?"
"It is 1808 and you are upon the Knob above Cobbler's Bottom." I answered.
Her mouth fell open with such a look of shock. She glanced at the Doctor and then back at me and her face broke into a smile."Ooh, cheeky! Not been on one of them in ages," and she laughed quite grotesquely.
"'Allo," said a voice I knew, "What's going on 'ere den?" And there stood Woody Dicker.
"Hello!" said the Doctor.
"Hello, hello.........helllllooooo," purred Donna.
"Right, best be off," the Doctor went on, making a move back towards the shed. "Come, you lascivious woman," and grasping Donna, pulled her with him.
"Ow VERY dare you!" she intoned. " I might wanna stay 'ere, wiv 'im." She winked at Woody.
"We will be late for lunch on the Zeta Boo," said the Doctor.
"O'right" she said, "See ya!" and went inside.
"Bye, Wayne," said the Doctor, " and bye you," he nodded at Woody, and closed the door.
After a brief moment that strange sound started up again and the blue shed began to shimmer and fade. I stepped towards Woody and clasped my arms about him and he clung to me as the shed disappeared before our very eyes. We held onto each other for quite sometime afterwards in a stunned and awkward silence, then Woody blasphemed and continued; "...dat were some beer dey gave us in dat Inn!"
As we walked back Woody kept on taking the Lords name in vain and rubbing his head. I was simply wondering how the Doctor had known my name.

No comments: