Wednesday

Wednesday 23rd April 1808

Dear Diary,
How strangely coincidental that upon St George's day we should hear news from a dragon! A missive arrived this morn from Mrs Norris. It bore the news that Miss Honey Pott has been injured in a riding accident.
It seems whilst out riding, her horse was startled, deliberately, by an unknown attacker and she was thrown to the ground. I fail to see why Miss Pott could engender such bad feeling towards herself and am sure that all was not as dramatic as portrayed in the note.
I waited to be called upon by Woody but when he had not arrived by late afternoon, went out for my constitution. I had not been wandering the woodland paths for long when I was startled, as he leapt out from behind a tree wielding his chopper. He said he had been too busy to call but I sensed some reluctance to come to the Grange in person. He wanted to discuss our strange encounter on Saturday. I believe it has formed a bond between us so much so he allowed me to handle his chopper. I had to grasp it with both hands and was amazed at how weighty it was. He showed me how he swings it and I made an attempt as well but I am nowhere near as adept at handling it as he. Clearly he must use it everyday.
Back at the Grange I sought out Ned and said I had need of his chopper. He blanched for a moment and stuttered as if he misunderstood, but when I mimed the movements with my hand he smiled in relief and even showed me his skill with wood.

No comments: