Saturday

Saturday 12th April 1808

Dear Diary,
Such a miserable day! April showers? I fear they are more April torrents! I have reamined housebound all the while. Fanny did not seem to mind and was determined to call upon the ladies at Cobbler's End. I asked what could be so urgent that she should brave the elements thus. I did not ascertain her exact reasons but I believe it involved Miss Lott's clematis. I think that was the word.
Doctor Proctor called to leech Mrs Crutchlow, who is still abed, but left saying he would have to return with more as the few he had brought could not contend with a lady of her... 'magnificence'. I thought that was very politely expressed.
I caught Ned emerging from the scullery with such a distention of his breeches that I could not help but stare. He smiled cheekily and pulled out half a baguette; the influence of our foreign visitors lingers on.
In my chamber I sat and watched the droplets chase each other down the window pane and twiddling my thumbs thought of Emmanuel, then twiddled something else.

No comments: